Building Hoop Coops

After using a Salatin-style chicken shelter last year and having problems with low ventilation, we decided to use a different model and utilize cattle panels and tarps for the roof.

20170502_170815.jpg

We built three shelters – two 8 ft. x 10 ft. and one 12 ft. x 10 ft, and both about 5 ft. 6 in. at the peak. Here’s how we did it!

First Judah built the bottom frames. The smaller shelters (pictured here), were 8 ft. x 10 ft. and the larger one was 12 ft. x 10 ft. Judah used cross braces in the corners, notching them to make them very strong.

20170429_111509.jpg
Notching

20170429_111653.jpg20170429_112945.jpg

The top and sides of the shelter are formed by two 16 ft. x 50 in. cattle panels (we used three for the larger shelter). Using a Sawzall, Judah cut the cattle panel so it would fit over the frame and brace, like so.

20170429_113820

 

 

He tacked it in place with a few staples and then bent the panel into a hoop, held together by the frame. We did the same with the second panel and secured them with more staples.

20170429_114315.jpg
One panel stapled onto the frame

20170429_115257.jpg

We used wire to attach the two panels together along the middle seam. Then Judah built the door frames. Here is what the top and bottom of the door frames look like.

20170429_134455.jpg

20170429_133836.jpg

Next came the back of the shelter! We used part of a cattle panel for this, even though it didn’t come all the way to the top. We used wire to keep it in place and then Judah cut the panel to the shape of the shelter. Then Judah made a brace up the middle for extra support.

20170429_140913.jpg

20170429_140803.jpg
The brace on the back wall

I attached 1/2 in. hardware cloth all around the outside, going 2 ft. up the sides. I used zip ties, but wire would work too! The hardware cloth stops predators from reaching inside and grabbing chickens, which they can do through regular chicken wire.20170429_164527.jpg

Next I put chicken wire on the remaining parts of the front and back walls using zip ties, overlapping a few inches of the hardware cloth.

20170429_183041.jpg

Meanwhile, Judah made doors. The wire running diagonally across the door is to keep it square as time goes on.

20170430_19141320170430_193123.jpg20170430_193139

I ended up putting hardware cloth on the entire door (instead of hardware cloth on the bottom and chicken wire on the top) because it was just the right width to run vertically up the doors.

20170501_183308.jpg

We put a variety of different latches on the doors, experimenting and using what we had, but I didn’t take any pictures of them.

I was hoping to find 8 ft. x 14 ft. tarps, but we ended up using 12 ft. x 16 ft. tarps for both size shelters. As logic would have you think, the larger shelter that has less tarp coverage is favored by the birds in warmer weather because it has more ventilation. The smaller shelters with more tarp coverage are better for cold nights.

We didn’t quite perfect our technique for tying the tarps onto the shelters, but here is what we did. The tarps were too big to provide enough ventilation for the small shelters so we folded one edge under a few times to shorten the tarp. Then, since the grommets on the edge of the tarp were hidden, we used cap nails to attach that side to the frame. And a final note on tarps – these are light-duty tarps but they ended up with holes where wires and zip ties poked through, so next time we’d use medium to heavy-duty tarps.

20170501_203857.jpg
I put chicken wire on the exposed piece of cattle panel after this picture was taken

 

 

20170501_203839

download_20170502_172239.jpg
Here you can see the difference in tarp coverage between the large shelter (on the left) and a small one

Then we drilled two large holes in the front and two in the back of the frame and tied a rope handle on. This is to lift the shelter in the back when you’re sliding a dolly under it (the dolly provides temporary wheels to make it easier to move) and in the front where you’ll be pulling it forward. It’s good to slide a piece of hose on top of the rope to protect your hands. We used pieces of semi-flexible pipe because we didn’t have an hose on hand.

20170502_123917.jpg
You don’t actually pick the shelter up quite this much when you’re moving it with chickens inside – Judah was just moving fast 😉

Then we rigged up a watering spot. We have gravity-flow waterers that are fed from a 5-gallon bucket so we had to suspend the bucket above the waterers. This is what Judah rigged up, and it’s working well so far! One nice thing about this setup is that we can refill the 5-gallon bucket in the shelter from outside the shelter by pouring through the chicken wire.

5910178413420012674-account_id=1.jpg

So there you go! That’s how we made our sturdy and relatively inexpensive shelters.


4 thoughts on “Building Hoop Coops

  1. This is an excellent shelter and easily and well-made! Great documentation for someone who wants to build one. These will last for many seasons, I’m sure. Very impressed! One has to take the time with the details to end up with something that is secure and durable … those lucky chickens!

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s